Monday, October 19, 2009

Paradigms

Sorry, Travelin’Oma! I was sick with the flu at the end of last week and over the weekend, so here is my make-up work for Friday.

Paradigms.

paradigm: n. a set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that constitutes a way of viewing reality

When I was a sophomore in high school, I had my history and English classes combined into one class named “Diversity of Peoples,” taught by Mr. Klimasmith. The first week of class he introduced us to some ethical dilemmas and we had heated discussions about how each of us might handle them. This led us to an in-depth lesson on paradigms and how we each have a paradigm that shapes the way we make decisions and the way we live our lives. As the rest of the school year progressed, each piece of literature, each culture, and each event in history that we studied was considered in light of our individual paradigms as well as attempting to understand more fully the paradigms of the actual people involved in the situation. We tackled some pretty major issues in that class – including my first introduction to the conflict in the Middle East – and we didn’t skirt religion, morality, or war. It was fascinating. It was also an incredible pedagogical approach as I consider it in hindsight.

I always remember that class when I have debates with others about topics that we may not see eye to eye on. I try to understand their paradigm, even when it is difficult for me to relate to. I often disagree with others on politics but I try hard not to be disagreeable. As I remind myself that they do not view the world the way that I do, it helps me to seek understanding even if I still don’t rally to their side of the fence.

1 comment:

Travelin'Oma said...

This is an awesome post. I think your class sounds like one everyone should take.