Travelin'Oma, Week 10, Day 1. It was a fabulous post today, Oma. I was so inspired by the beautiful stories of fellow classmates! We have some fabulous writers in our class.
A listening ear and an open heart.
Today I was able to spend some time with one of my favorite people: my cousin Lucy. We are only a few months apart in age and are very good friends. This morning I read a blog post she wrote last night about coming to the end of a phase in her life, and I thought about all that has happened in her life in these last three years. Very difficult and painful things have happened, as well as an outpouring of blessings so great that they are unfathomable to many. I have been a part of many of these experiences, but I was particularly struck today as I remembered a specific days about a year and a half ago when she was able to come pour her heart out to me in a moment of crisis and how it changed my life and hers.
As I listened to Lucy’s heart breaking, that day in June, and became more aware of the pain and suffering that she felt, I felt an aching deep inside of me while she told me of the tragedy playing out in her life. Many tears were shed by both of us, and the consequences of her decisions will affect the remainder of her days on this earth, but her decisions were the right ones. However heavy my heart was during the days and weeks that followed, I am so grateful that I was able, in a very small way, to have a part in that sorrow that she carried because it increased my understanding of her soul and opened my heart to feel an even greater love for her than I already did before.
I love you, Lucy! I will miss you so much when you move. I am so excited for your next adventure in life and hope that you will always come to me when you need a listening ear and know that I will always have an open heart to share your joys and your sorrows.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love your title here. You and Lucy are lucky to have each other.
Yes we are lucky to have each other!! Thank you, Audrey, for a beautiful post about our relationship! I remember that day in June-- a horrible day that led to some wonderfully blessed days. Thanks for being the friend I needed then. Thanks for being the friend I need now! I will miss having you near by!
Post a Comment